Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Retire The Old Red!!! Big up Brian Schaefer (Skate Park Of Tampa)












Last year I went to Durban a few times for work and play. Dallas Oberholzer (Indigo Skate Camp) gave me a heads up that some guys were there from overseas to do an event/social development at the camp in the township area of Valley Of A 1000 Hills outside Durban. I had been there a few times over the years and watched it build and grow from dirt paths with wood sheets angled at the ends to having a full sized half pipe with vert extension, and there are even talks of building a concrete bowl. So I rock up to Dallas's place to meet Thomas Kring and Brian Schaefer (Skate Park Of Tampa) for the first time and there is mega drama going down. Some kind of bullshit politics with these crazy cats from the township. So after a few hours of debating we take off for the camp but without the skating bushman. It was such a rad day and we must have given out boxes of shoes, hats, skateboards, toothpaste, etc. It was so cool to hook up all those little underprivileged kids, we also had a kiff braai (BBQ)and the sickest sundown skate on the ramps. During the chaos of throwing out all the gear and product we came across this trippy old Black Label skate deck. I told Brian that board was my kind of style, and none of the kids would go near the thing, so he gave me the board on the condition that I actually skate it (he also wanted to see some images sent to him as proof). Well, it took me about 8 months to get the board back from the Dallas void but after that it was on! I have skated this board sideways and actually progressed a lot on it, I have ridden out of a few smiths and feeble grinds as well as adding lip-slides to my everyday trick arsenal. I am all about tranny' now bowls, pools, mini-ranps, etc. thats my shiz. So with out sounding too soft, mega props and big up to Brian Schaefer for the board and good times, you really got me back into loving the roll. Here are some of the best images of me ripping that board, I am hanging the board up for a while cuz it is special to me and i just got this sick Santa Cruz re-issue Salba Trippy-Tiger pool deck and some ultra wide DW Indy's. Until we link again which might be sooner than you think if i can get one of the South African rippers featured in my book to get out to one of your Pro/Am comps.... Thank you, more times, Safe-

No comments:

Post a Comment